Reclaimed water is treated wastewater that is recycled for
non-drinking purposes such as irrigation. It is stored in a separate
water tank and piped through lines easily identified by their purple
color. The reclaimed system reduces the amount of water that is withdrawn from the Cape Fear River for irrigation.
- Saves users on the cost of water for irrigation. Reclaimed water is provided at a lower cost than water provided through an irrigation meter connected to the Town's regular water supply.
- Reduces the amount of treated wastewater that is discharged into Utley Creek. This increases how much wastewater the town is allowed to treat since that amount is based on the discharge into the creek.
- Saves the Town money since it uses reclaimed water for irrigating public spaces in Holly Springs Business Park.
- Assists the Town in meeting environmental protection objectives.
- Improves landscaping in public spaces.
- Reduces the frequency of turf damage during droughts because reclaimed water still will be available.