Animal Control

Cat and Dog

The Town’s animal control division takes a proactive approach to:

  • Investigating animal bites and nuisance complaints
  • Investigating allegations of animal cruelty
  • Educating citizens about the humane treatment of animals
  • Picking up stray or injured animals

Contacting Animal Control 

  • Animal bites and calls for service - dial 9-1-1
  • Questions - dial (919) 557-9111


There is no requirement for dogs to be registered or taxed in the Town of Holly Springs. However, all pets must be vaccinated against rabies. As proof of vaccination, veterinarians provide a small metal tag that pet owners must present to town employees upon request. It is wise for pet owners to attach this tag and an identification tag on pet collars in case a pet becomes separated from its owner and is captured.

Town Parks

Pets are welcome at town parks in designated areas. Animals must be on a leash at all times as indicated in the Holly Springs Code of Ordinances, Sections 12-66 and 12-67. As always, please clean up after your pet.

Leash Laws and Pets at Large

Town ordinances prohibit dogs and cats from running or roaming at large. The owner or caregiver must restrain or maintain control of pets when off their property.


If you experience problems with dogs or cats on your property, please contact the town’s emergency communications center at (919) 557-9111.

Violations & Fines

Animal Control Ordinance violations can result in fines. Except under extenuating circumstances, the animal control officer will investigate complaints, assist violators in correcting violations, and for a period of time, not issue citations.

Animal Ordinance 

Read the ordinance (Chapter 12, Article III) online or request a printed copy in the Town Clerk’s Office at Town Hall.

Stray animals

For public safety, stray animals will be taken to the Wake County Animal Shelter at 820 Beacon Lake Drive in Raleigh. The shelter can be contacted at (919) 212-PETS (7387). Animals may be reclaimed within five days / 120 hours.